"ESSENTIAL NEW RELEASE"
WEST END celebrates London's forgotten musicals and brings together over
20 unique 'lost' West End productions on one album. The collection reflects
30 years of musicals that have come and gone from the West End, showcasing these
unique theatrical works.
Ranging from 1976 to 2009, all the musicals featured had relatively short London
residencies and although they weren't always met with critical praise, they
nevertheless contain interesting, memorable scores and performances that deserve
to be heard.
The diverse selection of shows featured range from epic through-sung adaptations
of the classic novels 'Gone With The Wind', 'The Far
Pavilions' and 'Tess Of The D'Urbervilles' to musical
biographies of iconic historical figures Leonardo Da Vinci, Toulouse Lautrec
and Bernadette Soubirous.
The 'Lost West End' musicals included are: 'Liza Of Lambeth'
(1976), 'Troubadour' (1978), 'I' (1983), 'Y' (1983),
'Mutiny!' (1985), 'Bernadette - The People's Musical'
(1990), 'Valentine's Day' (1992), 'Which Witch' (1992), 'Robin
Prince Of Sherwood' (1993), 'Leonardo - A Portrait Of Love' (1993), 'Out Of The Blue' (1994),
'Prisoner Cell Block H' (1995), 'Maddie'
(1997), 'Tess Of The D'Urbervilles' (1999), 'Lautrec'
(2000) 'La Cava' (2000), 'Beautiful And Damned' (2004), 'The
Far Pavilions' (2005), 'Behind The Iron Mask' (2005), 'Gone
With The Wind' (2008), 'Too Close To The Sun' (2009).
The album features a glittering ensemble of West End vocalists including; Graham Bickley, Meredith Braun, Simon Burke, David Essex, Susannah Fellows, Alexander Hanson, Angela Richards and Andrew C. Wadsworth.
Although the shows didn't last, their music lives on and this collection affirms that the musicals featured are well worth rediscovering.
DATE: JULY 24th, 2015
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 9041
LOST WEST END 2 - LONDON'S FORGOTTEN MUSICALS
LOST WEST END - LONDON'S FORGOTTEN MUSICALS
1. CALL ME ROBIN HOOD - Peter Howarth
(from 'Robin Prince Of Sherwood')
2. THE WORLD WAS CHANGED THIS MORNING - Alexander Hanson [LISTEN]
(from 'Valentine's Day')
3. BEAUTIFUL COLOURS - Angela Richards
(from 'Liza Of Lambeth')
4. ONLY ONE ROSE - Andrew C. Wadsworth
5. THE FOUR DAMES - Michael Mears, Nicola Kimber, David Rappaport
(from 'I') [LISTEN]
6. ILLUSIONS - Arturo Brachetti
7. LIKE A CHILD - Miriam Stockley
(from 'Bernadette - The People's Musical')
8. ETERNALLY - Dollie de Luxe
(from 'Which Witch')
9. I NEVER TOLD HIM I LOVE HIM - Simone Dee [LISTEN]
(from 'Prisoner Cell Block H')
10. DON'T LOOK BACK - Graham Bickley, Summer Rognlie [LISTEN]
11. THE SOUVENIRS OF SECOND BEST - Mary Carewe, Company [LISTEN]
12. BEING A WOMAN - Susannah Fellows
(from 'Beautiful And Damned')
13. TOUCH ME - Robert Fardell
(from 'Behind The Iron Mask')
14. SAY GOODBYE - Julie-Alanah Brighten [LISTEN]
(from 'La Cava')
15. SHE LIVES WITH ME - Simon Burke [LISTEN]
(from 'Leonardo - A Portrait Of Love')
16. ONLY BELIEVE - Meredith Braun (from 'Out Of The Blue')
17. ONE NIGHT - Gayatri Iyer
(from 'The Far Pavilions')
18. GONE WITH THE WIND - Janene Lovullo
(from 'Gone With The Wind')
19. POOR LITTLE SILLY YOUNG ME - Tammy Joelle
(from 'Too Close To The Sun')
20. I'LL GO NO MORE A-ROVING - David Essex [LISTEN]
21. I HAVE YOUR LOVE - Philippa Healey
(from 'Tess Of The D'Urbervilles')
"Lost West End emerges as a joyous and varied collection of fascinating musical curiosities that have been rescued from obscurity and preserved for posterity. It will raise curiosity about the shows from which the tracks are derived, but offers musical theatre fans a great compilation of mostly-strong and unknown songs."
"I love compilations like this - not the usual well-known stuff but songs from shows that may have flopped and gone but, in a strange way, will never be forgotten. Thank you once again, Stage Door Records!"
"An enjoyable walk down memory lane."
"Stage Door say "Although the shows didn't last, their music lives on and this collection affirms that the musicals featured are well worth rediscovering". And I couldn't agree more, and eagerly await a promised Volume 2."