H.G. Wells' classic 1909 novel
Ann Veronica was conceived for the musical stage by writer David Croft who with composer
Cyril Ornadel began working on their adaptation in 1964. With music by Ornadel and lyrics by Croft, Ann Veronica was first presented at the Belgrade Theatre Coventry in February 1969 followed by a week long run at Brighton's Theatre Royal prior to opening at London's
Cambridge Theatre on April 17th 1969.
The story of 'Ann Veronica' details the rebellion of 22 year old Ann Veronica Stanley against her stern middle class father and her effort to make a mark on the world as a New Woman. Leaving home for a new life in London, Ann embarks on a journey of discovery becoming immersed in a world of intellectuals, socialists, and suffragettes.
The London production of 'Ann Veronica' starred Mary Millar in the title role alongside popular British performers Hy Hazell, Arthur Lowe, Peter Reeves, Charles West, Ian Lavender and John Inman. Reaction from the London critics was decidedly mixed and the production subsequently closed after 44 performances.
In March 1969, prior to the West End transfer, the 'Ann Veronica' cast album was recorded at London's CTS Studios in Belgravia. Stage Door is pleased to debut the London cast recording on CD, digitally remastered and featuring an extensive booklet with rare production photographs and detailed sleeve notes.
DATE: SEPTEMBER 25th, 2015
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 9042
All tracks licensed from Sony Music Entertainment UK Ltd.
ANN VERONICA - ORIGINAL LONDON CAST
1. OVERTURE / A WHOLE PERSON
- Mary Millar
2. I DON'T SEE WHAT ELSE I COULD HAVE SAID - Charles West, Joan Cooper
3. MATERNITY - Hy Hazell, Janet Mahoney, Suzanne Kerchiss
4. OPPORTUNITY - Jacquie Toye, Glennis Beresford, Joanne Haverly, Chorus
5. SWEEP ME OFF MY FEET - Mary Millar, Chorus [LISTEN]
6. ANN VERONICA - Mary Millar, Ian Lavender, Chorus [LISTEN]
7. ONE MAN'S LOVE - Simon Kent
8. CHEMICAL ATTRACTION - Peter Reeves, Mary Millar
9. I COULDN'T DO A THING LIKE THAT - Arthur Lowe [LISTEN]
10. WHY CAN'T I GO TO HIM - Mary Millar
11. THEY CAN'T KEEP US DOWN - Hy Hazell, Chorus [LISTEN]
12. STAND IN LINE / HOME SWEET HOME / GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK Wardresses, Janet Mahoney, Suzanne Kerchiss, Hy Hazell
13. IF I SHOULD LOSE YOU - Mary Millar
14. YOU'RE A GOOD MAN - Charles West, Joan Cooper, Simon Kent
15. TOO MUCH MEAT - Hy Hazell, Arthur Lowe [LISTEN]
16. ANN VERONICA (REPRISE) - Company
GUARANTEED IN STOCK