'Donnybrook!' was a musical based on the 1933 Maurice Walsh story
'The Quiet Man' and featured music and lyrics by Academy Award winning composer Johnny Burke and book by
Robert E. McEnroe. The production was directed and choreographed by Jack Cole and featured an all-star cast led by
Eddie Foy Jr., Art Lund, Joan Fagan, Susan Johnson and Philip Bosco.
The story of 'Donnybrook!' centres on John Enright, an Irish-American ex-prize fighter, who, having accidentally killed a man in the ring, returns home to Ireland to lead a quiet life. Settling in the small town of Innesfree, Enright falls in love with Ellen Roe, however to win Ellen's heart, he is forced to participate in a wild brawl and thus prove his courage.
'Donnybrook!' opened on Broadway at the 46th Street Theatre on May 18th 1961 to generally mixed reviews. Despite an enchanting score by Johnny Burke (described in Billboard as "highly listenable") and a first rate cast and creative team, the show closed after just 68 performances. In the week the show opened on Broadway, the original cast album of 'Donnybrook!' was recorded, produced by David Kapp for Kapp Records (Kapp was also co-producer on the show). The Original Broadway Cast album of 'Donnybrook!' now makes its debut on CD, coupled with the highly collectable album of instrumental selections from Johnny Burke's score, performed by the
Pete King Orchestra.
DATE: JANUARY 26th, 2018
CATALOGUE #: STAGE 9054
'DONNYBROOK!' - ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST RECORDING
02. SEZ I - Joan Fagan, Darrell J. Askey, Alfred DeSio, James Gannon, Bruce MacKay, Clarence Nordstrom
03. THE DAY THE SNOW IS MELTIN' - Eddie Ericksen
04. SAD WAS THE DAY - Susan Johnson and Ensemble
05. DONNYBROOK - Ensemble
06. ELLEN ROE - Art Lund
07. THE LOVEABLE IRISH - Art Lund, Charles C. Welch
08. I WOULDN'T BET ONE PENNY - Eddie Foy, Susan Johnson
09. HE MAKES ME FEEL I'M LOVELY - Joan Fagan
10. I HAVE MY OWN WAY - Art Lund
11. A TOAST TO THE BRIDE - Clarence Nordstrom
12. WISHA WURRA - Eddie Foy, Alfred DiSio, James Gannon, Bruce MacKay, Clarence Nordstrom
13. A QUIET LIFE - Art Lund
14. MR. FLYNN - Susan Johnson, Sibyl Bowan, Grace Carney
15. DEE-LIGHTFUL IS THE WORD - Eddie Foy, Susan Johnson
16. FOR MY OWN - Joan Fagan
17. FINALE - The Company
THE PETE KING ORCHESTRA PLAYS THE MUSIC OF 'DONNYBROOK!'
18. IF IT ISN'T EVERYTHING
19. THE DAY THE SNOW IS MELTIN'
20. SAD WAS THE DAY
21. ELLEN ROE
22. SEZ I
23. A TOAST TO THE BRIDE
24. I WOULDN'T BET ONE PENNY
26. HE MAKES ME FEEL I'M LOVELY
27. WISHA WURRA
28. I HAVE MY OWN WAY
29. DEE-LIGHTFUL IS THE WORD
30. FOR MY OWN
31. MR. FLYNN