Close', featuring book and lyrics by Charles Ross and music by Ross and Ronald
Cass, opened at London's Lyric Hammersmith on April 17th 1957 and ran a total of 62 performances.
Directed by Charles Ross with musical numbers staged by Ross Taylor, 'Harmony Close' starred
Zack Matalon, Jo Ann Bayless (Jean Bayless), Barry Kent and Bernard Cribbins.
The musical is set in Harmony Close, a residential mews in suburban London and focuses on the various residents who become embroiled in a blackmail plot to keep silent their guilty secrets.
'Harmony Close' first toured the United Kingdom in 1956 featuring a cast that included Patricia Lancaster and Dennis Lotis. After undergoing many revisions, the show played select provincial venues in 1957 before opening at the Lyric Hammersmith for a limited season. Although plans for a West End transfer were not realised, the musical's charming and immediate score was thankfully preserved on an
Original London Cast Album by Oriole Records. Oriole's anticipation of the show's success is reflected by the handful of pop covers issued on the label with sides waxed by
Maxine Daniels and Mike Shaun plus a now impossibly rare and
collectable instrumental EP recorded by the Robert French Continental Orchestra.
The 'Harmony Close' Original London Cast Album is issued on CD for the first time in its
entirety as part of Stage Door's "On Demand" series, digitally remastered, and coupled with the various rare pop covers recorded from the score.
Limited to 100 units only.
HARMONY CLOSE -
ORIGINAL LONDON CAST RECORDING
1. OVERTURE / OPENING - Barry Kent and Company
2. GETTING NOWHERE FAST - Bernard Cribbins
3. UNDESIRABLE ELEMENTS - Rose Hill, Betty Huntley-Wright, Pat Gilbert
4. GREAT BIG CITY / LONDON IS A VILLAGE - Jo Ann Bayless, Zack Matalon
5. DON'T KNOCK - Zack Matalon, Jo Ann Bayless, Louise Ramsey, Bernard Cribbins
6. GOODBYE TO ALL THAT - Rose Hill
7. I GO ROUND IN A WHIRL - Zack Matalon, Jo Ann Bayless
8. NOTHING TO DO IN LONDON - Company
9. ROBIN'S DREAM - Colin Croft, James Raglan, Sam Woodcock, Pat Gilbert, Louise Ramsay and Company
10. GOODNIGHT UNTIL TODAY - Zack Matalon, Jo Ann Bayless
11. LOVELY WEATHER FOR DUCKS - Company
12. WHY SHOULD I CARE? - Zack Matalon, Barbara Williams, Barry Kent
13. EXERCISING THE DOG - Pat Gilbert, James Raglan
14. I CONFESS - Company
15. LIFE SHOULD BE A LIVELY THING
16. LIFE SHOULD BE A LIVELY THING - Mike Shaun
17. GETTING NOWHERE FAST - Mike Shaun
18. LONDON IS A VILLAGE - Maxine Daniels
19. WHY SHOULD I CARE? - Maxine Daniels
20. WHY SHOULD I CARE? - Robert French and His Continental Orchestra
21. GOODNIGHT UNTIL TODAY - Robert French and His Continental Orchestra
22. I GO ROUND IN A WHIRL - Robert French and His Continental Orchestra
23. LONDON IS A VILLAGE - Robert French and His Continental Orchestra