Cranks', written and devised by John Cranko and featuring music by
David Lee, opened at London's Lyric Hammersmith on April 26th
1960 and ran a total of 39 performances.
Following the triumph of John Cranko's 1956 West End (and subsequent Broadway
transfer) revue Cranks, New Cranks was Cranko's attempt to repeat
that show's success with a sequel. The revue followed the formula of its
predecessor, uniting a talented cast of young performers in a series of off the
wall sketches and witty and memorable songs. The cast of New Cranks
featured Bernard Cribbins, Gillian Lynne, Carole Shelley, Johnny Wade,
Billy Wilson and Yolanda.
'New Cranks' first opened at the Theatre Royal Brighton on Easter Monday
April 16th and ran for a week before transferring to the Lyric Opera House in
Hammersmith. The show was met with mixed reviews from the London critics, many
of whom felt repeating the format of Cranks created a "sense of
monotony", although the cast were praised as a "likeable team"
and Cranko's "gift for mime and unorthodox choreography" were singled
most praise was reserved for the revue's catchy and memorable songs with Melody
Maker declaring "Music is the best thing in New Cranks" and in
particular highlighting the work of composer David Lee.
with its predecessor, New Cranks was recorded by the HMV label and the
subsequent cast album, produced by Norman Newell, was released in May
1960. The cast recording solely preserved the show's musical numbers, showcasing the
very best of the New Cranks material. Highlights include Gillian Lynne's
comic number Psychological Approach, Johnny Wade's ballad Shadow Girl and
Wade's duet with Carole Shelley It Will Never Work Out.
The 'New Cranks Original London Cast Album is issued on CD for the first time in its
entirety as part of Stage Door's "On Demand" series. Digitally remastered, the
cast album concludes with a bonus track of Johnny Wade's "pop" version
of Shadow Girl (retitled Shadow Love for its single release).
Limited to 100 units only.
NEW CRANKS -
ORIGINAL LONDON CAST RECORDING
1. BLACK AND WHITE CHA CHA - The Company
2. NAMES - The Company
3. SOFT SOAP - Gillian Lynne, Carole Shelley, Bernard Cribbins, Johnny Wade, Billy Wilson
4. IT WILL NEVER WORK OUT - Johnny Wade, Yolanda
5. PUBLIC LIBRARY - Yolanda, Carole Shelley
6. BIG DAY WITH YOU - Gillian Lynne, Carole Shelley
7. SHADOW GIRL - Johnny Wade
8. EQUATION - Bernard Cribbins, Carole Shelley
9. LITTLE HOURI - Yolanda
10. BLACK AND WHITE WALTZ - The Company
11. BLACK AND WHITE BOUNCE - The Company
12. PURE IN MIND - Gillian Lynne, Carole Shelley, Yolanda
13. PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACH - Gillian Lynne
14. JUMBO MAMBO - Billy Wilson
15. HOLE IN THE HEAD - Yolanda, Billy Wilson
16. HANDS OFF MY HEART - Carole Shelley, Bernard Cribbins, Billy Wilson, Johnny Wade
17. OTHER PEOPLE UGH! - Bernard Cribbins, Billy Wilson, Johnny Wade
18. BLACK AND WHITE BLUES - The Company
19. SHADOW LOVE (Pop Version) - Johnny Wade